Re: Fiber Requirements

Hi

I have a very simple suggestion:

- Anything inside of a building and less than 100m use 50/125 um 500 MHz.Km
fiber.

- For link distance >100m or between building use only single mode fiber with
potential total BW of >TGb/s.

Alternatively you can install high bandwidth fiber and hopefully you will be
able to mange existing fiber from new mm high bandwidth fiber.

The total fiber installation is relatively small today.  The biggest cost is the
initial cost of fiber and the installation.  You would want to install about
5-10x more fiber than your need, but most of these fiber will be left
unterminated.  Single mode fiber are the cheapest fiber about 1/3 of the cost of
standard mm and about 1/20th of the cost of specialty fibers.  A good size
campus you will be installing several millions meters of fiber.

Today the cost of single mode xcvr is about 75% higher than mm, but at 10
gigabit the difference will even be less.  Single mode fiber is the only
solution you can future proof your backbone.

Thanks,

Ali Ghiasi
Sun Microsystems