RE: Fiber Requirements

Stephen,

It is truly premature for any of us to speculate on the 10 Gigabit Ethernet
(802.3ae) fiber specifications. According to our schedule, we won't have a
firm set of specifications until late in the year 2001.

Up to this point in time, we have seen no proposals to change the
specifications on single mode fiber.

Though we have had presentations that assume the application of "new high
bandwidth multimode fiber," I recall no specific proposals on the
specifications. Work on these is taking place in the TIA FO 2.2.1 committee.

Recommendations regarding other types of multimode fiber would be completely
speculative (i.e. existing 62.5 or 50 micron fiber).

I am sorry that this does not likely provide the level of help you require.
Nevertheless, it would be irresponsible, from the perspective of the IEEE
802.3ae to provide you with any other response.

jonathan

Jonathan Thatcher,
Chair, IEEE 802.3ae (10 Gigabit Ethernet)
Director of Engineering, World Wide Packets
PO BOX 141719, Suite B; 12720 E. Nora, Spokane, WA 99214
509-242-9000 X228; Fax 509-242-9001; jonathan@worldwidepackets.com

application/ms-tnef