Re: 8b/10b and EMI

Hi Ed

All those that I know in fibre channel using GBICs has had problems when
the idle signal is sent.   I do not know yet whether 8B/10B is the culprit, but
idle signal sure seems to have accentuated the problem compared to a random data stream.

Has anyone done a spectral analysis of 46b/66b vs 8b/10b with idle
characters continuous?

Thanks

ron miller

Edward Chang wrote:

Tom, Rick and all:

If the only reason to scramble the 8B/10B code is to minimize the
probability of EMI emission caused by the occasional, repetitive IDLE
signal, we may have to ask ourselves a question: have we done enough home
work to prove it is required?  Even a simple circuit, it is not free.

So far, in the real industry-wide installations, no one has the 8B/10B IDLE
EMI problem.  Furthermore, no one has proved that 8B/10B IDLE signals will
cause EMI problem for 10 GbE in an enclosed environment.

Regards,

Edward S. Chang
NetWorth Technologies, Inc.
EChang@NetWorthtech.com