Re: 8b/10b and EMI

Ron,

Look at Joel Goergen's presentation from the March 2000 meeting --
he has spectral plots of 8b/10b Idle sequences compared to
scrambled -- there is at least a 10dB reduction in power for the
scrambled version.

Tom Truman
Bell Laboratories

Ron Miller wrote:

> Hi Ed
>
> All those that I know in fibre channel using GBICs has had problems when
> the idle signal is sent.   I do not know yet whether 8B/10B is the culprit,
> but
> idle signal sure seems to have accentuated the problem compared to a random
> data stream.
>
> Has anyone done a spectral analysis of 46b/66b vs 8b/10b with idle
> characters continuous?
>
> Thanks
>
> ron miller
>
> Edward Chang wrote:
>
> > Tom, Rick and all:
> >
> > If the only reason to scramble the 8B/10B code is to minimize the
> > probability of EMI emission caused by the occasional, repetitive IDLE
> > signal, we may have to ask ourselves a question: have we done enough home
> > work to prove it is required?  Even a simple circuit, it is not free.
> >
> > So far, in the real industry-wide installations, no one has the 8B/10B IDLE
> > EMI problem.  Furthermore, no one has proved that 8B/10B IDLE signals will
> > cause EMI problem for 10 GbE in an enclosed environment.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Edward S. Chang
> > NetWorth Technologies, Inc.
> > EChang@NetWorthtech.com
> > Tel: (610)292-2870
> > Fax: (610)292-2872

begin:vcard
n:Truman;Tom
tel;pager:877-705-2496
tel;fax:732-949-9118
tel;work:732-949-8809
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Bell Laboratories;High Speed Communications VLSI Research
version:2.1
email;internet:truman@lucent.com
title:Member of Technical Staff
adr;quoted-printable:;;4E-511A=0D=0A101 Crawfords Corner Road;Holmdel;NJ;07733;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;21872
fn:Tom Truman
end:vcard