Re: XAUI/XGXS protocol

Rich,

Thanks for the reply.  I was trying to discern the definition of XGXS.
Your replies (below and to others) say, I think, that XGXS/XAUI/XGXS
is not, in fact, a symmetrical interface.  So it ought to be renamed
with an additional function (XGXS/XAUI/somethin' else).

I see your argument about the alignment characters being useful to
some PCS/PMA/PMD implementations.  Yet, things are getting sticky.
Wouldn't it be simpler to specify XGXS/XAUI/XGXS symmetrically?
Then, if some PCS/PMA wanted to use these characters, the design
(presumably contained within one chip) could collapse (i.e., remove)
the redundant, reciprocal functions of deleting and re-adding these
alignment characters?

Regards,
Mike