Specific PMD support of XAUI/XGXS

Jamie,

Are you saying that your PAM5/4WDM proposal will not be compatible with
XAUI/XGXS? Please clarify.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Jaime Kardontchik wrote:

> Rich Taborek wrote on Friday 00:26, March 17:
>

> > .............. A WWDM or Parallel Optics PMD
> >  requires its PCS to support /A/, /K/, and /R/ to perform synchronization,
> > deskew, alignment and clock tolerance compensation. This information
> >  must indeed be transported out through the PMD to enable the remote
> > PCS receiver to perform all of the latter functions.
>
> Rich,
>
> I am very open and flexible with respect to supporting /A/,/K/, etc..
> However, I would like to point out that these are completely
> unnecessary in my proposal "PAM-5 4-WDM at 1.25 Gbaud".
>
> I do follow exactly the same synchronization steps that you
> mention in Albuquerque's presentation, slide # 15:
>
>     "4-lane link synchronization is a 5 step process
>          1-4 acquire sync on all 4 lanes individually
>         5 align/deskew synchronized lanes "
>
> Since I use the 1000BASE-T PCS instead of the 1000BASE-X
> PCS (8b/10b), the only difference is that each lane has its
> own 1000BASE-T PCS clocked at 312.5 MHz (instead of the
> 8b/10b coder) and a SERDES clocked at 1.25 GHz (instead
> of 3.125 GHz).
>
> The SERDES takes the four PAM-5 symbols generated by
> the 1000BASE-T PCS every 312.5 MHz clock cycle and
> delivers them serially to the PMD. Byte sync at the receiver
> is performed using the IDLE properties of the 1000BASE-T
> PCS. Lane alignment is trivial once you performed byte
> sync on the individual lanes.
>
> Jaime
>
> Jaime E. Kardontchik
> Micro Linear
> San Jose, CA 95131
> email: kardontchik.jaime@ulinear.com

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@nSerial.com
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com