Re: 8b/10b and EMI

Ben,

A Fibre Channel Idle is the following four character ordered set:
/K28.5/D21.4/D21.5/D21.5/ It's fairly ugly from an EMI perspective since:

1) The beginning and ending RD is always negative meaning the exact same
disparity versions of the Idle word are used;
2) D21.5 is repeated within the Idle word and is the high-frequency
b'0101010101' pattern. D21.4 is almost as bad being only a hamming distance of 1
from D21.5.

>From an EMI perspective, making a worse choice would be difficult.

For XAUI/XGXS, the /A/K/R/ Idle pattern bit stream does not repeat for 32
code-groups, 8X that of the Fibre Channel Idle. A very simple method of randomly
shifting /R/ columns at the initial transmitter would result in a non-repeating
Idle pattern. There is essentially no similarity between FC Idles and XAUI/XGXS
Idles and XAUI/XGXS Idles are already defined to be EMI "friendly".

Best Regards,
Rich

--

"Benjamin J. Brown" wrote:

> Ed,
>
> I picked up on your very last paragraph:
>
> Ed Grivna wrote:
> >
> > The 8B/10B code, when sending random data, has a fairly wide emissions
> > spectrum (which is what you want), but if you sit on the same
> > character or small group of characters, you can see the discrete
> > spectral peaks quite clearly.
> >

> When we look at the idle sequence for HARI, it looks like a
> stream of /K/R/K/R/ with an occasional /A/. Is this the type of
> thing you are referring to when you say small group of
> characters?
>
> Ben
>
> --
> Benjamin Brown
> Router Products Division
> Nortel Networks
> 1 Bedford Farms,
> Kilton Road
> Bedford, NH 03110
> 603-629-3027 - Work
> 603-629-3070 - Fax
> bebrown@nortelnetworks.com

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@nSerial.com
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com