Re: 8b/10b and EMI

Brad,

Scrambling is more spectrally "smooth" than a short block code if repeated
characters are used. However, this is not the case with the 10 GbE 8B/10B
patterns so the issue is mute.

Longer run lengths make CDR designs much more complex than for a short run
length code such as 8B/10B. It is straightforward these days to implements
multiple 8B/10B CDR units on a single substrate. I don't believe that I know of
any multiple scrambled code CDR units on a single substrate.

The significantly shorter run lengths of 8B/10B systems directly translate into
a much narrower signal bandwidth allowing the use of a relatively high frequency
low pass filter to keep most lost frequency noise from affecting the CDR. The
inability of scrambled systems to do the same results in significantly more
coupled noise form extraneous sources and adds significantly to the
implementation of multiple CDRs on the same substrate.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

"Booth, Bradley" wrote:

> Does scrambling give better spectral density than 8b/10b?  I was under the
> impression that scrambling has longer run lengths of 1's or 0's compared to
> 8b/10b.  Does this not make it harder to perform clock and data recovery
> with just a single scrambler, hence the reason SONET uses two scramblers?
>
> Just curious,
> Brad
>
> Brad Booth
> bradley.booth@intel.com <mailto:bbooth@Level1.com>
> Intel Network Interface Division, Austin Design Center
> (512) 407-2135 office
> (512) 589-4438 cellular

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@nSerial.com
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com