Re: Unified PMD vs. Unified PHY

Tom,

A few minor corrections:

Hari was introduced by Mr. Howard Frazier in July in Montreal as the Serial 10
GMII. It's been around a while.

There is no SLP proposal that addresses multi-lane operation that I'm aware of.
You'd better hurry up with that one.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

"Truman, Thomas E (Tom)" wrote:

> Jonathan,
>
> My reading of the timeline presented in the January 2000 intro
> (http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/public/jan00/intro_0100.pdf)
> indicates that July 2000 marks the acceptance of the last new
> proposal, and I'm compelled to push back on your statement
> that brainstorming work is "OVER".
>
> Looking back over the archives, it was at the November meeting
> that HARI was introduced, and in January 64b/66b was added. Both
> the UniPHY and SLPs proposal were introduced in March.
>
> Clearly a large set of the 802.3ae members are still brainstorming,
> and should continue to thrash out the merits of these proposals until
> the July vote. There is a lot of work to be done in the meantime and
> we'll need the full 3.5 months.
>
> Regards,
> Tom Truman

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@nSerial.com
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com