RE: 16-bit 625Mbaud XGMII

Jaime,

Regarding your comment:

> The 8b/10b is a good coder so why blame it for
> something that it does not deserve ? ...

I simply don't understand why you say this. You must be reading something
into my statement that isn't there.

In the worst case (a relatively frequent case) an unencoded interface will
require all bits to simultaneously switch (i.e., from
111111111111111111111111111111111111111). This is significantly different
than in 8B/10B where this simply cannot occur. The number of bits switching
from 1 to 0 on an encoded 8B/10B parallel interface is approximately
balanced with the number switching from 0 to 1. The maximum dI/dt for these
two cases is very different (by almost a factor of 2X) and clearly favors
8B/10B. The radiated noise effect also favors 8B/10B. Think about the
difference between a 000000000 to 111111111 on 9 lines running in parallel
and a transition from 0011111010 to 1100000101 on 10 lines running in
parallel. Big difference, no?

jonathan