Re: Single ended XGMII

ghiasi wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would also vote for single ended SSTL_2 or HSTL for XGMII.  Currently all
> SerDes HSPI compliant are SSTL_2 which operate at 250 Mb/s.  As we move up in
> the speed 500-1000 Mb/s we need to consider HSTL or STTL_1 (does not exist).
> However if you scale the SSTL2 levels to 1.5 volts you will get HSTL levels.

SSTL-2 is a pretty good bet.  SSTL-1 (actually SSTL-18 or some such; I
think I'll push for -18 to keep it simple ) doesn't exist now but will before
long thanks to DDRII memory.  Which also means that there will be plenty of
support.

Also keep in mind that SSTL-18 will be PVT compensated and include a variant
for reflected-wave operation, thanks to the small-system outfits like the
graphics shops and Transmeta.  That will make for an almost perfect match with
network back-end applications.

D. C. Sessions
Chair, JEDEC JC-16

--