Re: XAUI and 64b/66b

Rick Walker,

I need to apologize to you. I've been having this conversation
with Rich Taborek as if it is his proposal and not including
you. Please, accept my apology and chime in any time with your
opinion.

Rich,

Wonderful! I agree with you completely. This means the transmit
PCS simply 64b/66b encodes the information it gets from the MAC
service interface, be this information in the form of XGMII
encodings or XAUI encodings. The receive PCS must have the
intelligence to know whether its MAC service interface requires
XAUI encodings or XGMII encodings. It simply 66b/64b decodes
the information then may pass the data straight through or
convert it to XAUI or XGMII, whichever is applicable.

I think this would be a great addition to the 64b/66b proposal
for the next meeting. Add to that an explicit mapping of the
bit ordering through the entire PCS and I think I might stop
bugging you both (at least until I actually see the proposal,
that is ;^).

Thanks,
Ben