Re: SONET/Ethernet clock tolerance

Ishida-san:

At 11:06 AM 3/29/00 +0900, Osamu ISHIDA wrote:
>Here 10 Gigabit Ethernet will require only ONE Path STS-192c in the payload.
>I don't believe re-using expensive SONET regenerator for 10GbE is a good
>choice
>unless you have already invested in it.

Exactly,  I think you hit the nail on the head.  I have listened very hard
for months now to the SONET discussion and the debates on the LAN vs WAN PHY.

I have always interpreted the requirement for the so-called WAN PHY as an
installed base issue. Some WAN folks believe there is a requirement to
preserve the investment in installed SONET-TDM equipment which is driven by
a return on invested capital business model.

There are other models and other ways of building networks.  It is
refreshing to hear other points of view.

Bruce Tolley
Cisco Systems