Re: WAN PHY name

There is a "yes, but..." here. To say that because we are IEEE 802.3
instead of the ITU doesn't remove the confusion factor. I'm free to call my
horse a dog, but it still won't hunt...and it'll sure as Hell confuse
people looking for quail.

To attach the name SONET (or SDH) to something has a lot of implications
for telecom people. If everyone insists that SONET go into the name, we
should call it the "SONET Incompatable PHY", because in no real sense is it
compatable with those features which are unique to the SONET / SDH network.
WAN PHY is better in that it, at least, doesn't confuse people in the
business.

Once again, it seems to me that the majority of users interested in this
PHY will have a Telecom, as contrasted to Datacom, orientation. Thus,
calling it a Telecom PHY makes a natural distinction which will both give
potential users some guidance and let Jonathan give journalists a simple
set of names they can understand.