Re: Interface reality check

Ben,

Sorry for my too short explanation.  I'll make it clear bellow.

At 10:41 PM -0400 00.4.2, Brown, Ben [BAY:NHBED:DS48] wrote:
> Does the regenerator you describe look something like this?
>
> PMD -> PMA -> PCS -> XGXS -> XAUI -> XGXS -> PCS -> PMA -> PMD
>
> I'm not sure this would be a device specified in the standard
> even though it uses components defined by the standard. However,
> let me see if I can follow through with your thought process.

Yes, you have drawn my regenerator perfectly.  I do not care this
regenerator would be a standard device or not, since I think it
will work well simply by using components defined by the standard.

> In my opinion, the /A/K/R/ only exists between/within the
> XGXS boundaries. It is used for alignment, jitter, etc., across
> the 4-lane XAUI and has a useful purpose there. Others are of
> the opinion that /A/K/R/ can be carried past these boundaries
> with the only detrimental affect being the loss of PCS coding
> space.

I think I have understood both sides cleary.  My opinion is /A/K/R/
transparency beyond the boundaries has a little practical advantages
that deserve the negligible loss of PCS control code space in 64/66.

> I think your message is referring to yet another "future idle-
> sequence". I presume this means additional codes beyond /A/K/R/
> as opposed to simply a re-ordering of these same codes. Given
> XAUI's randomness in the order of /A/K/R/, re-ordering these
> same codes would not be obvious. So, the new codes required by
> your "future idle-sequence" would require additional code space
> and, in particular, would need to be defined during the standard
> specification phase so the PCS would know what these codes are.
> To get these codes defined during the specification phase of
> the standard, you would not be making this a "future idle-
> sequence" but another "present idle-sequence" and presumably,
> this one would exist to fulfill a particular purpose that /A/K/R/
> couldn't fill.

No.  Here I just consider a re-ordering of /A/K/R/.

First, I am concered that Fibre Channel may adopt different rules for
re-ordering these /A/K/R/.  FC may have more powerful randomization to
reduce EMI a bit further.  In this case the regenerator can enjoy this
EMI reduction if his XGXS has /A/K/R/ transparency.  If not, the
regenerator only follows the 802.3ae randomization rule and can not
enjoy further EMI reduction.

Second, if we have /A/K/R/ transparency, we can debug the regenerator
at XAUI by simply inserting fixed (non-randomized) /A/K/R/ pattern into
the PMD.  If we don't have /A/K/R/ transparency, inserting /I/ into the
PMD yields randomized /A/K/R/ on XAUI and hence we can not observe fixed
pattern there; this may be a little hard to maintenance.

I agree that these advantages are far from dramatic.   However, in my
opinion, these are enough to deserve the loss of PCS coding space if it
is far from running out as Rich has pointed out.
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/email/msg01924.html

I hope this helps you and Rich to wrap up your brilliant discussions.

Best Regards,
Osamu