RE: WAN PHY name

All:

The names LAN-PHY and WAN-PHY are clearly understood in committee. They
have a long history of discussion and presentations. They are simple,
broadly understood, and somewhat descriptive.

The alternatives terms make things worse. Lets just keep what we have.

Cheers,

Paul

At 10:30 AM 4/3/00 -0700, Jonathan Thatcher wrote:

>Len,
>
>If I might take your message and make three minor modifications:
>
>Having spent over *XX* years in *Datacom*, the *LAN*  PHY
>nomenclature seems to me to be the most appropriate and least
>confusing name that comes to mind. It isn't SONET because it
>isn't SONET and it isn't either Telecom because other than telecom
>applications would find it useful. (Why start out with a
>market limiting handicap?) Its support of link distances over
>2km gives it some claim to wide area networking coverage; its
>potential application within the central office, i.e., switch
>to switch, gives it some claim to telecommunications
>networking; its potential use in the LAN gives it some claim
>to data; so....
>
>Do you see the problem?  There are many other minor variations that all
>yield equally valid statements. Since there is some desire by the committee
>to have common PMDs for the 10.0 and 9.5 Gb/s versions of the PHY, using
>distance doesn't differentiate any better than LAN and WAN.
>
>Let's not give up on this. If it were trivial, we would have solved it long
>ago....
>
>jt

Paul A. Bottorff, Director Switching Architecture
Enterprise Solutions Technology Center
Nortel Networks, Inc.
4401 Great America Parkway
Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185
Tel: 408 495 3365 Fax: 408 495 1299 ESN: 265 3365
email: pbottorf@NortelNetworks.com