No Subject

From owner-stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org Mon Feb 28 20:03 GMT 2000
From: "Edward Chang" <edward.chang@NetWorthTech.com>
To: <rtaborek@nSerial.com>, <stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org>
Subject: RE: PAM-5 at 5 Gbaud
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 14:20:42 -0500
Sender: owner-stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org

Richard:

The 5 GBaud, PAM-5 waveform at page 7 makes me very uncomfortable.  For
example, the one in the middle has three transitions, of which the
peak-to-peak amplitudes are 2250 unit(mv?), 1300 unit (mv?), and 1000
unit(mv?) with estimated transition times, (0%-100%)65 ps, 60 ps, and 60 ps,
respectively. For a five level coding, they seems to match with the +2, +1,
0, -1, -2 level definition with equally spaced timing interval.

If they are not part of the coding, but a ringing or some other noise, they
will confuse the level and timing detecting circuits to cause undesirable
results.  If it is supposed to have only one transition per a cell time, 200
ps, then those extra transitions will cause the PLL being out of
synchronization with the receiving data, or excessive clock-jitter to induce
high BER.  With the near equal magnitude of amplitudes, and timing
intervals, no way a ordinary filter can differentiate the needed transition
from the unwanted transitions.

One way or the other, these issues should be resolved before July decision
date.

Regards,

Edward S. Chang
NetWorth Technologies, Inc.