Re: PAM-5, what are your BERs ?

Hi Sean,

unfortuantely, FEC has additional drawbacks beyond just latency.  the
primary concern here would be that you need to ratchet-up the signaling
rate even faster to include the overhead of sending the FEC bits.
Depending on the amount of redundancy in the FEC information,
you may need to increase the signalling rate as much as 5-to-10%.

Regards,

Ed Grivna
Cypress Semiconductor