Re: Interface reality check

Brad,

So, now the XGMII has an EMI problem with IDLE? This is the first
I've heard of this. This is also the first that I've heard that
/a/k/r/ can fix such a problem. It seems purely coincidental that
the same pattern used to fix an IDLE EMI problem on XAUI just
happens to be the same pattern used to fix an IDLE EMI problem
on the XGMII. It sounds like you're trying to find a question to
an answer.

I must apologize now for the tone of this note. Perhaps this has
simply been a bad day but, for the life of me, I can't see where
this is coming from or what problem you're hoping to solve.

Ben

"Booth, Bradley" wrote:

> Taking Rich's slides that he sent out last Friday, I did a couple of tweaks.
> The concept is that the /A/, /K/ and /R/ that are used for XAUI are 10-bit
> symbols.  We can make them correspond to /a/, /k/ and /r/ which are their
> "byte equivalents."  I put that in quotes, because all /A/s decode to a
> single /a/, all /K/s decode to a single /k/ and all /R/s decode to a single
> /r/.  The reverse is not true; /a/ is not encoded to a single /A/ (due to
> running disparity).  This is the same as in 802.3z.
>
> I left the /O/ in, because I think that it might add some good features in
> the future.  But /BL/ and /RF/ got turfed.
>
> This format would work for, or could be applied to, all the current
> proposals we have on the table from SLP, SUPI, WWDM, WIS, Serial, MAS/PAM,
> etc.  I tried to keep this at an architectural level, not an implementation
> level.  I believe that this architecture should permit the majority, if not
> all, of the implementations that get built.
>
> Cheers,
> Brad
>
>  <<000405_RScoding.pdf>>

>                           Name: 000405_RScoding.pdf
>    000405_RScoding.pdf    Type: Acrobat (application/pdf)
>                       Encoding: base64

Benjamin Brown
Router Products Division
Nortel Networks