Re: WAN PHY name

Rich,

The WAN compatible PHY being developed by IEEE is a specific implementation
of 802.3 Ethernet for the purpose of transporting unmodified 802.3 Ethernet
MAC frames over existing high bandwidth long haul communications
infrastructure.  It will also allow the WAN compatible PHY users to obtain
service level agreements from the long haul service providers in relation to
the reliability, maintenance, and support of the facilities being leased by
the users.

"Lite SONET/SDH" is a term that has been used for some time to refer to a
reduced OAM&P functional overhead on the customer drop side of SONET/SDH
transport systems.  This was codified by T1X1 in the document T1X1.416-99.
It not only applies to fully concatenated services like OC192C POS and
10GbE, but includes the multiplexed service overhead mappings. I received a
copy of this document from the editor.  I don't know if it is available on
the public T1X1 FTP site.

The T1X1.5/256r1-99 proposal was made after the Nortel WAN compatible PHY
proposal was made to the HSSG.  In some respects it can be said that T1X1.5
is looking at the mapping technology that was introduced through IEEE 802.3,
not the other way around.

The "Ethernet over SONET/SDH" term can be blamed on me.  I was attempting to
get the 802.3 WG to recognize that other standards organizations were about
the define transport standards for Ethernet without the support of the 802.3
WG.  This is very true of the "Ethernet over SDH" proposal before the ITU.
It striped off the Ethernet Frame FCS, replaced it with a HDLC FCS, and then
used byte stuffing to map the frame into SDH.  I was able to attend ITU SG7
(not as an IEEE liaison).  I had to leave early, but I believe that I was
successful in getting the proposal modified so that the 802.3 Ethernet MAC
frame remained in tact.  We will see when IEEE 802 gets the liaison letter
from ITU SG7.

I hope that this helps.  Maybe we can share some brews at the next meeting?

The best to you,
Roy