Re: SONET/Ethernet clock tolerance

Paul,

Lets take your argument (below) of why the WAN PHY is necessary apart one by
one:

1) "use of a bridge in the ELTE to transform a LAN-PHY to SONET takes away
control from routers attaching to the WAN."
Assuming that the LAN PHY must be converted to the WAN PHY at some point in a 10
GbE link, I believe that you are somehow creating a distinction between
performing this conversion within an ELTE and performing this conversion further
back in the link where the LAN PHY is converted to a WAN PHY. I don't see a
difference between these two conversion processes. Both required 802.1D bridges.
I've reviewed your 'Why WAN-PHY' presentation many times and am not convinced
that the bridge function went away. This is also borne out in the definition of
the 802.1D Relay function according to the 'WAN PHY Definitions' proposal from
Albuquerque which bears your name. Please help me understand the difference
here;

2) "extending any management capability into the SONET network": OAM&P over 10
GbE LAN links and even LAN to SONET and back to LAN may be easily accommodated
by proposals such as XGENIE from Mr. Osamu Ishida. Extending SONET framing, the
inability to do simple clock tolerance compensation, and other associated
baggage is a very expensive way of providing simple OAM&P transport;

3) "the 'sonet-like' WAN-PHY is the simplest implementation." I beg to differ
with this on multiple points, not the least of which are are the difficulty of
SONET framing, the inability to do simple clock tolerance compensation,
synchronization complexity, the difficulty of running pure scrambled code across
multiple lanes (e.g. PCB traces). Simplicity is embodied in the LAN PHY. SONET
framing may be added within the ELTE for those 10 GbE links entering the SONET
network. The UniPHY proposed by Mr. Howard Frazier is the simplest way I can see
of accomplishing the latter.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Paul Bottorff wrote:

> Gary:
>
> I agree. The ELTE is the demarcation point between SONET and Ethernet.
>
> The WAN-PHY is necessary even if you consider the ELTE the demarcation
> point. As I've pointed out in the 'Why WAN-PHY' presentation, use of a
> bridge in the ELTE to transform a LAN-PHY to SONET takes away control from
> routers attaching to the WAN. It also prevents extending any management
> capability into the SONET network(extending a path from WAN-PHY to
> WAN-PHY). Finally, the 'sonet-like' WAN-PHY is the simplest implementation.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul
>
> At 05:58 PM 4/3/00 -0400, Gary Nicholl wrote:
> >
> >At 01:26 PM 3/31/00 , Paul Bottorff wrote:
> >>
> >>Rich:
> >>
> >>The 10 GigE WAN-PHY is asynchronous with standard Ethernet clock
> >>tolerances. The WAN-PHY has no SONET clock tolerance or jitter
> >>considerations. It is true that ELTE equipment (which is not part of
> >>Ethernet) needs to make a conversion into the SONET clock domain. Since
> >>this function is part of SONET equipment is only of academic concern to the
> >>IEEE. David's previous emails indicate how the SONET ELTE equipment may
> work.
> >
> >Paul,
> >
> >Maybe I'm still confused. From your description it sounds like it is the
> ELTE and not the WAN-PHY  that is the real demarcation point between the
> 'sonet' world and the 'ethernet' world ?  The ELTE takes in a 'sonet-like'
> signal on the WAN-PHY interface from the ethernet switch and then converts
> it to a 'sonet-compliant' signal to be transported over the wide area
> optical network.
> >
> >Given that the ELTE has to contain sonet processing to convert between the
> ethernet clock domain and the sonet clock domain, then why not consolidate
> all the sonet processing onto the ELTE and perform the ethernet-to-sonet
> mapping here as well. This means that we could use a standard ethernet
> signal as the interface between the ethernet switch and the ELTE, and not
> have to define a brand new 'sonet-like-lite-compatible-framed-etc........'
> interface specifically for 10GE ?
> >
> >Gary ....
> >

> >>In the IEEE domain clock compensation may be performed by IDLE frame
> >>deletion/insertion. Idle frame deletion/insertion is supported by the
> >><Length><HEC> delimiting system we have proposed.
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >>
> >>Paul

> Paul A. Bottorff, Director Switching Architecture
> Enterprise Solutions Technology Center
> Nortel Networks, Inc.
> 4401 Great America Parkway
> Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185
> Tel: 408 495 3365 Fax: 408 495 1299 ESN: 265 3365
> email: pbottorf@NortelNetworks.com

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@nSerial.com
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com