Re: WAN PHY name

Rich,

I'll jump in here. The proposal you refer to was one that
David Martin gave in response to a request for information
so that 802.3 could respond to a letter from T1X1. This
is absolutely NOT a proposal in front of P802.3ae. See
Paul Bottorff's "Why WAN PHY?" proposal to see specifically
why it is NOT a proposal.

I'll let Roy give specifics regarding each of the proposals
you've listed. I just wanted to answer your first question.
No wonder you've been confusing more than a couple of us ;^)

Ben

Rich Taborek wrote:

> Roy,
>
> I believe that you and I agree on something.
>
> You said: "Ethernet over SONET/SDH is the standard that are being developed in
> T1X1 and ITU."
>
> I said: "Ethernet Over SONET represents a specific proposal to IEEE P802.3ae to
> map Ethernet to SONET."
>
> I believe that the latest reference to the proposal identified in both our
> statements above is embodied in:
> http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/mar00/martin_1_0300.pdf. Note
> that there have been many, many other presentations endorsing the same general
> mapping given to IEEE P802.3ae over the course of the last several months.
>
> Am I completely lost? Please tell me if the proposal referenced in the link
> above is not an active proposal in front of IEEE P802.3? If it's not, then I
> don't have to worry about it any more.
>
> Please help me differentiate between all of the following:
>
> a) T1X1.5/99-268r1;
> b) Ethernet over SONET/SDH;
> c) WAN compatible PHY being developed by the IEEE;
> d) "Lite" version of SONET/SDH.
>
> I apologize in advance for my ignorance and any confusion I have caused the
> committee.
>
> Best Regards,
> Rich
>
> --
>
> Roy Bynum wrote:
> >
> > Rich,
> >
> > You need to pay more attention, or if you have been paying attention,stop
> > generating confusion.  Ethernet over SONET/SDH is the standard that are
> > being developed in T1X1 and ITU.  The WAN compatible PHY is being developed
> > by IEEE.  The WAN compatible PHY proposal uses a "Lite" version of
> > SONET/SDH.
> >
> > Roy

Benjamin Brown
Router Products Division