Re: WAN PHY name

Roy,

So if T1X1/ITU are already developing an 'Ethernet over SONET/SDH' interface then why can't we simply use this as the WAN-PHY ? One issue that is often brought up is the cost of current OC-192 interfaces.  However a number of forums (including the OIF and the ITU) are addressing this issue by specifying low-cost, very short reach optical interfaces at OC-192. These interfaces are designed to operate over distances of up to approx 500m, and have very aggressive cost targets. I haven't seen the optics proposal for the WAN-PHY yet but I would be surprised if there is a significant difference in cost compared to an OC-192 VSR interface.

In fact at OFC recently one vendor was promoting a single low-cost 10G optical interface that could be used for "the proposed 10 Gigabit Ethernet WAN PHY, as well as existing OC-192 and OC-192c frame formats".

So rather than develop a new 'SONET-lite' interface within the IEEE, I think a better approach would be to work with existing industry forums (ITU,OIF,T1X1) to agree on a standard, low-cost OC-192 very-short-reach (VSR) optical interface.   That way everyone gets to benefit from a common, standard , low-cost OC-192 interface. 10GE is not the only group that wants low cost 10G interconnect ...

Another advantage of using EOS as the WAN-PHY is that it doesn't require an 'ethernet specific' ELTE on the DWDM equipment. A standard 'OC-192 transponder' could be used instead.

Gary Nicholl .........