RE: XGMII a/k/r and XGXS - PCS Interface

Una Quinlan

For the case you described of:

	(c) EOP Case (with 2 residual bytes): 	/E/ /D/ /T/ /K/ /R/ /R/ /R/ /R/. How could this be encoded? It may not be  	possible to adopt an approach like the SOP case, where an Error codeword 	is transmitted, and a delayed EOP indication follos. Because this would  	eat into the IPG by up to 7 bytes.

one possible solution is to have a multiple stage delay from input to output such that
the error can be detected and then change the data that is at the output of the delay just
before it is shipped on out to the next layer.

My memory tells me that someplace in 802.3z (1Gig) there was a multiple stage delay
on receive before a packet was delivered to the RS/MAC.

Tom Mathey