Re: Issues in mapping Ethernet signal to SONET

Tripathi:

provides the most efficient encoding and allows easy extension for ANSI
T1X1.5 applications. The 64/66 code forces an additional 3% overhead which
we are supporting for the LAN-PHY) does not add any overhead it also does

<type> is covered by the <hec> giving the option to decode new frame types.
Neither of the other codes provide this feature.

deleting all the IDLE bytes on the wire. These are regenerated in the PHY
before sending data to the MAC.

system which has been field proven for many years. Both the 64/66 and the
SLP encodes are brand new and unknown.

The use of a <length> calculation buffer in the PHY is a cheap solution

Cheers,

Paul

At 09:54 AM 4/11/00 -0700, Devendra Tripathi wrote:

>Hi,
>Could some one illustrate (or give pointer to existing document) on various
>issues
>in mapping an Ethernet signal
>@9.584640 (+-100ppm) to OC-192 stream. As Paul has already pointed out,
>the muxer, should be able to absorb 320 ppm tolerance. Basically I would like
>to understand the reasoning for Length insertion in preamble (which makes the
>scheme somewhat unpleasant). The basic
>OAM&P function like remote fault and break link are already being talked
>about as part of the control code (as part of Ethernet stream).
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Devendra Tripathi
>Vitesse Semiconductor Corporation
>3100 De La Cruz Boulevard
>Santa Clara, CA  95054
>Phone: (408) 986-4380 Ext 103
>Fax:	(408) 986-6050
>
>Web:	http://www.vitesse.com

Paul A. Bottorff, Director Switching Architecture
Enterprise Solutions Technology Center
Nortel Networks, Inc.
4401 Great America Parkway
Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185
Tel: 408 495 3365 Fax: 408 495 1299 ESN: 265 3365
email: pbottorf@NortelNetworks.com