RE: SONET/Ethernet clock tolerance

Tim,

Thank you for the precise information.  I agree that we can cut off
most of the overhead access in your WAN-PHY with SONET framer.  Thanks
to your illumination, I realized that I should estimate the consumption
power of each function block in our SDH VC-4-16c (2.5 Gb/s) Line
Terminating Chip.

Here are the rough estimation by my colleague Kenji Kawai of NTT who
designed the chip;

 25%  Pointer Manipulation & Memory holding during overhead periods
 30%  Full Overhead access
 45%  Clock distribution in the chip

He excluded the consumption power for chip I/O and hence the above
100% nearly equals 1.5 W.  Note that we have implemented very heavy
extra DCC bytes (D13-D192), and hence the 30 % should be overestimated.

From this evaluation, at least in our design and process, we will have
relatively small impact of reduced overhead access on the total
cosumption power for the SONET line termination.

I am not sure that the result on our chip could be fair or not.
Any additional information on this matter would be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Osamu

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/email/msg02260.html