Re: Issues in mapping Ethernet signal to SONET

Ben, Dave,

Reading this note, it seems that there is some conflict between what WAN PHY
proposal IS on the table and what ISN'T on the table. Can you please clarify the
situation and list the ACTIVE WAN PHY proposals?

One WAN PHY proposal that I know is on the active list is Mr. Howard Frazier's
UniPHY proposal:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/mar00/frazier_1_0300.pdf

Dave,

This is he first time I've heard the PCS1/PCS2 terminology. We previously had
the same problem with the 8B/10B code proposed for Hari and solved it by
proposing the optional XAUI/XGXS interface and associated sublayers. I don't
believe that there's any proposal for the LAN, WAN or UniPHY that requires two
PCS sublayers. All PCS functions can be described in a single PCS sublayer.

What is the specific reason for introducing this new terminology and how does it
appear in the layer model? If you draw a picture of it, please use the model
from Mr. Brad Booth's "IEEE P802.3ae Document Structure" presentation:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/mar00/booth_1_0300.pdf

Best Regards,
Rich

--

> David Martin wrote:
>
> Ben,
>
> A correction to your delineation explanation below. It should state that after
> the Ethernet data stream is extracted from the SONET payload by the PMA (PCS2
> in the new terminology), the receive PCS (PCS1 in the new terminology) gains
> synchronization by searching for any header (data or idle frame) with a valid
> HEC. It maintains synchronization by using the validated length value to point
> to the next frame, which again it confirms OK by verifying that header has
> a valid HEC, and so on.
>
> I see that Paul Bottorff has clarified in a later e-mail that the
> <length><type><HEC> proposal continues to be our position for the WAN PHY.
>
> ...Dave
>
> David W. Martin
> Nortel Networks
> +1 613 765-2901
> +1 613 763-2388 (fax)
> dwmartin@nortelnetworks.com

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@nSerial.com
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com