RE: Interface reality check

Dave,

You are right, I forgot that the receive side is more complicated than
the transmit
side.

Just to put some hard numbers, a simple implementation as presented by
Rick in
pg 13:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/mar00/walker_1_0300.pdf
will require gates equivalent to about 1400 flops. I believe it can be
optimized
further, but as of now, the intrinsic complexity is about 1100 storage
elements.

I wonder how this compares with the number of gates required to
implement other
aspects of the wan phy - is it too much, comparable or negligible?

Regards,
Birdy

Bharadwaj,

The issue with 66-bit alignment vs 8-bit alignment arises at the receive
end.
The SONET section framer provides a byte-aligned output. If the payload
is
byte aligned then the payload delineation mechanism can hunt directly.
If the
payload is 66-bit aligned, then the delineation mechanism must hunt on a
bit
by bit basis. Bit-slipping vs byte-slipping involves more circuitry.

...Dave

David W. Martin
Nortel Networks
+1 613 765-2901
+1 613 763-2388 (fax)
dwmartin@nortelnetworks.com

begin:vcard
n:Amrutur;Bharadwaj
tel;fax:650-857-3637
tel;home:408-244-5553
tel;work:650-813-3357
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;3500 Deer Creek Rd. MS 26U-4;Palo Alto;CA;94304-1392;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:bharadwaj_amrutur@agilent.com
x-mozilla-cpt:;8544
fn:Bharadwaj Amrutur