Re: PMD discussion

Joel,

There are no complete 4-lane serial proposals for WDM on the table which use a
transmission code other then 8B/10B. The 8B/10B 4-lane serial proposals have
been essentially stable for more than 6 months now. It's getting darn close to
July, any other candidate transmission codes for WWDM need to get aired very
soon.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Joel Goergen wrote:

> Walter,
>
> I like the second better, but for clarity, I have a question .... for the
> serial solution, my understanding is the thought is to use 64b66b on the
> fiber.  What is the general thought for wdm?  Is it just 8b10b or is the
> thinking in general that the line interface is 64b66b?
>
> Take care
> Joel
> -----------------------------
>
> Walter Thirion wrote:
>
> > First of all, thanks to everybody that presented PMD proposals at the last
> > meeting. I've sent my presentation to David Law, so it should be available
> > on the web site in the next couple of days.
> >
> > In listening to the discussion after my presentation and then going around
> > and talking to people, it feels to me like we're starting to converge. Not
> > there, yet, but making progress.
> >
> > The equipment manufacturers made it pretty clear they would like to see no
> > more than 3 PMDs in the standard. The PMD vendors have some concern that
> > using only 3 PMDs may sub-optimize certain objectives, however, they could
> > support the 3 PMD position if it is made clear which 3 PMDs the equipment
> > oems want.
> >
> > Based on an informal straw poll and anecdotal evidence, my opinion is the
> > first choice would be the set:
> > ________________
> > 850 nm WWDM
> > 1310 nm WWDM
> > 1550 nm Serial
> > ________________
> >
> > If that set isn't feasible, then the 2nd most popular choice is:
> > ________________
> > 850 nm WWDM
> > 1310 nm Serial
> > 1550 nm Serial
> > ________________
> >
> > Thoughts, feedback?
> >
> > Walt
> > ___________________
> > Walter Thirion
> > Chair, IEEE 802.3ae PMD Sub-Task Force
> > 301 Congress Ave.
> > Suite 2050
> > Austin, Texas 78701
> > Voice:  512-236-6951
> > Fax:    512-236-6959
> > wthirion@jatotech.com
> > ___________________
>
> --
> Joel Goergen
> Force10 Networks
> 1440 McCarthy blvd
> Milpitas, Ca, 95035
>
> Email:  joel@force10networks.com
> Direct: (408) 571-3694
> Cell:  (612) 670-5930
> Fax:   (408) 571-3550

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@nSerial.com
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com