From: owner-stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org]On Behalf Of Seto, Koichiro
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2000 10:25 AM
To: wthirion@jatotech.com; stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org
Subject: Re: PMD discussion

[Date: 05/29/2000  From Seto]

Walter,

My understanding is that the following set is also one of the top favorites:

________________optimized for	may be used for
1310 nm WWDM	MMF upto 300m	SMF upto 10km
1310 nm Serial	SMF upto 10km	MMF upto 86m
1550 nm Serial	SMF upto 40km
________________

I understand there are some risks that 850nm-WWDM solution may not satisfy
laser eye safety as Jonathan pointed out in the discussion on Thursday.
Also, I learned that there are some risks that 1310nm-WWDM may not be able
to achieve 10km at SMF if not impossible.  At least we have not seen any
data that would prove the feasibility of 1310nm-WWDM over 10km SMF.  It is
not to say that this can not be done, but I have not been convinced that the
 same 1310nm-WWDM optics at same cost factor will serve for both 300m MMF
and 10km SMF.  Also, some people pointed out that 1310nm-Serial can be built
 at cost factors of x1.8 to 850nm-Serial while 1310nm-WWDM is x3.  If we can
 achieve the same goal (SMF 10km), the cheaper is the better.

I hope no one is offended by my not-so-educated opinion.  I would appreciate
 a healthy discussion.

Seto