Re: PMD discussion

Edward,

The WAN PHY cannot use 8b10b after the SONET framing because the
packet delimiters are buried in the scrambling. Without packet
delimiters, there is no where to put the commas for use in code-
group synchronization.

For SONET CWDM, Paul has offered the SUPI proposal which stripes
a byte of the SONET frame over each of the 4 lanes. The serial
SONET framed WAN PHY operates at a data rate of 9.95328 Gbaud.
Each of the 4 lanes operates at 1/4 of this rate or 2.48832
Gbaud. The re-alignment logic works on the A1/A2 framing, both
for byte sync and lane sync.

I hope this helps clarify how the coding works in Paul's proposal.
For more details, see his proposal directly:

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/may00/bottorff_1_0500.pdf

Ben

Edward Chang wrote:

> Seto:
>
> Paul's May presentation does not exclude 8B/10B.  I specifically asked him
> at the time of presentation.  How to use 8B/10B for C/WWDM WAN-PHY
> application.  Paul replied that he is not familiar with 8B/10B C/WWDM
> application; as a result, he did not know how to draw 8B/10B C/WWDM
> application on the his page 3, Component chart.  He mentioned that SUPI can
> be extended to PCS with 8B/10B code.
>
> It is same as in the CWDM proposal, which I drew the reference model to show
> how CWDM to use 8B/10B and adopt XAUI to extend PCB runs.
>
> For WAN_PHY PMD, the PCS will be 8B/10B.  WIS remains the same as proposed.
> It seems that the 16 bit WIS output will enter PMA (SERDES) through SUPI to
> be serialized into four serial/self clocking  outputs to enter PMD (O/E).
> At the O/E output, there will be a WWDM to optically multiplex 4 serial data
> lines at 3.125 Gbps into one fiber for transmission.
>
> Regards,
>
> Edward S. Chang
> NetWorth Technologies, Inc.
> EChang@NetWorthtech.com