RE: PMDs and Customer requirements

Bruce,

My concern here is that we are letting the needs of the few drive the needs
of the many...so to speak.  As an equipment vendor, you must support any
application that the customer brings to you.  That's a fact we all would
agree with.  However, I disagree with basing the success of 10GbE on how
well it supports the minority applications.

Customers are typically adverse to "forklift upgrades".  But in the end,
it's a matter of economics.  And the cost vs. profit of the upgrade is the
determining factor.  If most of the user's links are shorter than 100m
(probably much shorter), then the approach to the system upgrade will
usually be based on the short distance link and expand into the lower volume
longer distance links, not the other way around.

Embedded in this PMD selection process is the 850nm serial solution.  It
clearly offers a solution for the 300m objective.  It also offers added
value of lowest cost, simplistic interconnections for all MM fibers up to
28m and most 50um MM fibers up to 86 meters.  If technology proliferation is
important, then 850nm serial should be a choice as it has several vendors
that are doing actual link testing.  And one that is actively demo'ing in
the public forum.  Ask that of any WDM solution.  With all of it's benefits,
why would the group not include the 850nm solution? Maybe someone can help
me understand that.

Also, I must respectfully ask for someone out there to inform me why the
"100m over installed base", objective was chosen.  Why not 50m? or 150m?
Were there any scientific data or surveys used?  Don't misinterpret, this is
not a "knock" on the 802.3ae process.  It's merely a question that's been
bugging me for a while now.

Finally, I would suggest we base our PMD solution set opinions on straw
polls where all participants have an opportunity to vote.  Informal straw
polls can be misleading.  Each subgroup within the 802.3ae seems to have an
opinion on the PMD issue.  However, we should not forget about the user
community.  The only user that stood up and voiced an opinion (that I
remember) during the Ottawa meeting was MCI/Worldcom, and I believe they
stood in support of 850nm serial.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Chris