Re: Nomenclature update

[Date: 05/31/2000  From Seto]

Brad,

I think I can live with your suggestion.

> It was also requested during the Interim meeting that we keep the order from
> the bottom of the layer diagram up.  This would result in a nomenclature
> such as ...BASE-S4X.  For the Serial implementation, we could use -SX, and
> for the WDM implementation, we could SMX.  Although, S4X may not be a bad
> idea for adding more wavelengths in the future.

Here comes my theory again.
When we defined the names for 802.3z, we did not leave a room for parallel
optics.  Why should we now?  When we use a single strand of cable to transmit
data, it's all taken as default.  So, I think ..BASE-S4X and ..BASE-L4X are
perfectly OK for WWDM method we are discussing.  Should we ever come up with
parallel optics, we could use something like ..BASE-S4XP.

Finally, if we define 'X' as 'block encoding using (default) single lane' and
'X4' as 'block encoding using 4 lanes', we can use 10GBASE-LX, 10GBASE-SX,
10GBASE-LX4 and 10GBASE-SX4.  It may be better as it can highlight the coding
scheme difference between Quad 8B10B (X4) and serial 64B66B (X).
The problem with this nomenclature is that SUPI is not necessarily a coding
scheme.  It is more like PMA signaling scheme.  This would put us in
questioning if we should use 'W4' as 4-lane SONET encoding scheme.  But I
think 1000BASE-LW4 is very easy to understand and to remember.

Seto