RE: PMDs and Customer requirements

Steve,

I understand the concern the distance objectives may not properly address
all of the market segments. However, it is all I have (along with the other
criteria of cost, tech feasibility, etc.) to try to sort out the verious
proposals. I remember the discussions around the objectives and the various
positions taken and, in many ways, we are simply replaying the discussion
today. But unless we revote on the objectives, I am obligated to meet them.

As to the straw poll, it would have been informational to see it done based
on representative vendor type, i.e. a straw poll among equipment vendors and
a separate one among PMD vendors. I have no doubt the PMD vendors strongly
endorse at least 5 PMDs because I know each camp is well represented. I also
know the equip vendors have coalesced around 3 PMDs for the reasons that
Steve Haddock presented.

I don't think any of the positions are strong enough to pass a motion with
the required 75% but I think each of them is large enough to block a motion
that doesn't include their favorite solution.

So as I said in Ottawa, we have two choices:

1.	Try to compromise on a smaller set that we can pass.
2.	Not pass anything and therefore delay the standard.

As always, I am open to suggestions if there is another path that I'm
missing.

My understanding is the "100m on installed fiber" objective requires the
850nm or 1310nm WWDM solution. The groups discussion to satisfy the "at
least 40km on SMF" by having a solution that can go 50-80km dictates 1550nm
Serial. Since the 1310nm WWDM also satisfies the middle objectives, many are
happy with this simple set.

Walt