RE: PMD discussion

Paul,

We did "fixate" on the installed fiber for 802.3z.  I think that was part of
the success of 1000BASE-SX.  As you and I both know, that by the time the
standard is complete, the new MMF will be part of the installed base.  What
is going to be the percentage of new versus old?  Who is going to have to
handle the customer calls to determine if the customer is using the
"correct" MMF for the job?  Not you, not I, but rather my customer.  I just
want to ensure that we don't create a bigger mess (which equates to poor
marketability) for them.

I look at what has made Ethernet so popular in the past, and that has been
its simplicity for the users.  Five PMDs with 10 port types is not simple.

Thanks,
Brad