RE: PMDs and Customer requirements

John,

The interesting part about that majority is that there were no system
vendors.  What bothers me the most about this majority is that as a
purchaser of optical transceivers, only one from this majority approached me
about supporting their effort.

As someone within the upper echelon of the IEEE once said to me, "at this
point in our development, anything less than a 95% majority is a serious
failure on the part of the task force."  The task force should have complete
and utter buy-in from all parties (and all segments of the market) for this
standard to have strong potential.  The task force doesn't have that, and
that is a reason for big concern for me.

Cheers,
Brad