From: Bruce Tolley [mailto:btolley@cisco.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2000 9:29 AM
To: Edward Chang; Cornejo, Edward (Edward); jay.hoge@uk.jdsunph.com
Cc: '802.3ae'; 'Jack Jewell'
Subject: RE: PMD discussion

Ed:

Multiple options confuse the market when they overlap and the set of 5
options contains substantial overlap.

It is legitimate for informed people to disagree on complex issues and for
us to have difficulty converging on the short list of PMDs.

But everyone should be absolutely clear that the shorter the list is the
better both for market growth and for ease of completing the specification.

Bruce

At 09:22 AM 6/1/00 -0400, Edward Chang wrote:

>Ed and Jay:
>
>In general it is true that with a given size of a pie, the more people
share
>the same pie, the smaller share  each one gets.
>
>However, the 10 GbE PMDs are not in one same pie, in stead, it consists of
>few distinctly different pies.  For example, the pie of VSR below 100 meter
>connections among equipment of a computer room is totally different from 40
>km MAN pie.  They do not share pies at all.
>
>Important thing we have to do is to provide enough PMD options for the
>future market to grow.
>
>Some PMD companies has all different PMD products to meet each different
PMD