Re: PMD discussion

Roy,

I'm not sure where your confusion is coming from, please explain.

All initial LAN WDM PHY proposals as well as those currently in front of the
Task Force employ 8B/10B encoding. This coding choice has been essentially
stable for more than a year now. 64B/66B has never been formally proposed as a
PCS for LAN WDM PHYs.

64B/66B has been proposed as the PCS for the LAN Serial PHY since approximately
the November, 1999 meeting.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Roy Bynum wrote:

> Rich,
>
> Now I am confused.  It was my understanding that the LAN only PHY would be using 64b/66b, just like what is being forced on the WAN
> compatible PHY.  If so, then it was my understanding that the parallel/CWDM PMD would also be 64b/66b.
>
> Thank you,
> Roy Bynum

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@nSerial.com
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com