Re: PMD Interface thread 1024 / Re: PMD discussion

Joel,

I'll weigh in on this one. At the end of the Ottawa meeting,
Stuart Robinson asked if follow-up presentation on the 16-bit
interface would be appropriate for the July meeting. There was
a respectable show of hands that were interested in such a
presentation. As such, it is certainly eligible to be voted
into the first draft. See Stuart's presentation from that meeting:

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/may00/robinson_1_0500.pdf

I just thought I'd help you out, one farm boy to another :)

Ben

Joel Goergen wrote:

> Rich and all
>
> Not to put words in Roys emails, but I think his confussion was/is the same as mine.  8B10b over cwdm, for all practical purposes, is
> XUAI extended over the optical link.  I am sure there is some cdr there, I would have to go back to the presentations from the CWDM guys,
> but in raw form, CWDM is XUAI cdr extended.  I don't agree with it because I think the optical line coding blocks should be the same for
> consistancy.  But, like all engineers, I could change my mind later :).
>
> I think further, there is the question of a serial 10gig optical part - I must have been sleeping or something, but there is the issue
> that if we want to use 10gig serial optics today for the standard, we will need to use the OIF 16x622 interface until something XUAI like
> is ready.  Does this mean we should spec the interface, too?
>
> Sorry if you have to touch some of these issues two or three times .... us farm boys can be a little slow on the uptake :).
>
> Take care
> Joel
> -------------------------
>
> Rich Taborek wrote:
>
> > Roy,
> >
> > I'm not sure where your confusion is coming from, please explain.
> >
> > All initial LAN WDM PHY proposals as well as those currently in front of the
> > Task Force employ 8B/10B encoding. This coding choice has been essentially
> > stable for more than a year now. 64B/66B has never been formally proposed as a
> > PCS for LAN WDM PHYs.
> >
> > 64B/66B has been proposed as the PCS for the LAN Serial PHY since approximately
> > the November, 1999 meeting.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Rich
> >
> > --
> >
> > Roy Bynum wrote:
> > >
> > > Rich,
> > >
> > > Now I am confused.  It was my understanding that the LAN only PHY would be using 64b/66b, just like what is being forced on the WAN
> > > compatible PHY.  If so, then it was my understanding that the parallel/CWDM PMD would also be 64b/66b.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > > Roy Bynum

Benjamin Brown
Router Products Division