Re: WISardry

[Date: 06/07/2000  From Seto]

Tom,

Thank you very much for your comment.

I, too, am afraid of fierce reactions from both WAN and LAN camps.
However, I believe LAN PHY's auto and/or manual speed configuration
capability to WAN PHY speed is beneficial to both parties.

The best thing is that single LAN PHY, capable of open loop control, can
access LAN and WAN seamlessly.  LAN vendors can build WAN-capable switch/
router without using WIS chip, without buying expensive (?) SONET frame
analyzers.  WAN vendors can sell more SONET DWDM transponders, because more
10GbE router/switches will be WAN capable.  Teleco users can buy necessary
router/switch at less.

I'd appreciate more people's opinion on this.

Seto
p.s.
I promise that I will never propose Next Page in 10GbE A/N.