From: Schelto.Van-Doorn@infineon.com [mailto:Schelto.Van-Doorn@infineon.com]
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2000 12:22 PM
To: Jonathan.Thatcher@worldwidepackets.com
Cc: stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org
Subject: RE: Question on Laser Safety Limits

Hi Jonathan,

Paul Kolesar gave a very good presentation at the march plenary meeting on this issue. See:

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/mar00/kolesar_1_0300.pdf

In this presentation he expects the new levels for 850 nm to be -1.24 dBm. A 2.46 dB increase over today's limit .

Even more interesting, is the fact that they are anticipating a new category "Class 1M" with restrictions similar to Class 3A, that will allow levels up to +9.43 dBm.

But you bring up an interesting question in regards to the restricted launch conditions.

What will the test conditions be?

With the majority of the light going through the center of the exiting light cone, there could be a significant difference between a mathematical calculation assuming equal distribution over the cone and a practical measurement, measuring the maximum exposure through an aperture.

Have fun
Schelto

Schelto van Doorn
Engineering Manager