Re: 664b/66b frame alignment in SONET payload

Erik,

This sounds like a reasonable approach insofar as WIS frame delineation goes.
However, the 64B/66B PCS sits "above" the WIS and may not know or care that it
is in WAN mode. Therefore, 66B codes at the receiver may be aligned on odd-bit
as well as even-bit boundaries and the reduction in valid sync locations from 66
to 33 seems negligible.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Erik Trounce wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question regarding alignment of the PCS 66-bit frames
> within the SONET payload (in WAN mode obviously).  My understanding
> is that the PCS 66-bit frames can and will cross SONET frames, and
> obviously they will not begin on octet boundaries.  However, will
> it be specified that the PCS frames will sit on even-bit boundaries,
> reducing the valid sync locations from 66 to 33?
>
> Erik

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@nSerial.com
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com