Re: Gearbox reality check

Tim,

I didn't want to use the "J" word in my previous note on this issue, so instead
I'll refer to "larger-than-life" frames. Note that based on the size of these
LTL frames, there is an additional buffering requirement for the WAN PHY of >7%
of the frame size due to the speed difference between the 10 Gbps PHY data rate
and the 9.29 WAN PHY data rate. For a 9 KB LTL frame, the buffering requirement
would be an additional 630 bytes per data direction over and above the numbers
you stated in (1) below.

Note that additional buffering specific to LTL frames is not applicable to a LAN
PHY regardless of frame size.

I believe that once all the buffering requirements are listed and applicable
macros are identified that the actual WAN PHY buffering requirements to provide
the equivalent frame transport as the LAN PHY will be in the 5 KB to 10 KB
range.

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this blasphemous response, but what the heck :-)

Best Regards,
Rich

--

> Tim Armstrong wrote:
>
> The WAN PHY buffering requirements will be less than 1K octets per direction.
>
> 1) The requirements for accommodating the overhead gaps are determined by the
>     worst case consisting of: Path overhead and fixed stuff immediately
> following
>     a positive pointer adjustment in row 4 of the SONET frame. The buffer
>     requirements are then:
>
> 576 octets for transport overhead
> 192 octets for positive pointer adjustments
>  64 octets for Path overhead and fixed stuff
> plus a few octets for jitter and clock domain hand-off.
>
> 2) There is minimal buffering required for the WAN PHY framing and scrambling
>     functions. Typically, pipeline stage re-timing is sufficient.
>
> Tim Armstrong

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@nSerial.com
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com