Re: A Question about "Inter Packet Gap and SOP Lane alignment"

Boaz,

Allow me to answer this question. The first colum if IDLE is
the /T/ column. This column can have 0-3 bytes of /d/ preceeding
the /T/ and 3-0 bytes of /K/ following the /T/. The second
column is either /A/ or /K/ (random) and the third column is
/R/. These second and third columns are sometimes referred to
as the first and second columns because the /T/ column is
often considered the last column of the packet. In Steve's
proposal, the IPG can end after the /R/ column regardless
of where the /T/ comes in that column.

Ben

Boaz Shahar wrote:

> Hello Steve,
> I have a question in regards to your presentation "Inter Packet Gap..." in
> the last meeting:
>
> You suggest to use only 2 columns of Idle as a minimum for IPG. In previous
> proposals (e.g.
> http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/may00/taborek_2_0500.pdf
> slide 14) the suggested gap is a minimum of 3 columns-/A/, /K/, and /R/. So:
> Can you please say which of them should be eliminated, or define a procedure
> which say which type of Idle columns should be inserted?
>
> Thanks,
> Boaz

Benjamin Brown
Router Products Division