RE: Break Link and Remote Fault

Seto,

I think that you're on the right track, but let's not forget that in the
scenario of Break Link, 1000BASE-X doesn't give a damn about what is being
transmitted.  In other words, BL can be signaled in the middle of a packet,
IPG or idle stream.  In 1000BASE-X, Remote Fault plays by similar rules.  I
say similar rules because the BL of auto-negotiation is required to initiate
an auto-negotiation process which passes the RF information.  The other big
issue with 1000BASE-X is that RF is optional.  I think LSS addresses this by
making it mandatory.

I think that the LSS version of BL and RF performed a better job of these
functions by at least waiting until the end of packet.  If either BL or RF
is transmitted, then there is a very good chance that the MAC will have
stopped transmitting.  In the case of BL, the DTE is breaking the link and
therefore will stop transmissions.  In the case of RF, the DTE is unlikely
to continue to send data if it is reporting an error in the system.

So, I think the biggest issue was with the OAM&P capabilities of LSS.  A
couple of options as I see it are the following:
*	remove the optional OAM&P from the LSS proposal
*	remove OAM&P and move the BL and RF signaling into the idle stream
*	alter the LSS proposal to only use the idle stream for OAM&P
*	alter the LSS proposal to only use the idle stream for all signaling

Comments?

Cheers,
Brad