RE: what's next ?

Jamie:

I believe your suggestion is viable, if all attempts fails.

However, as Bruce suggested, maybe we should give one more chance to reach
consensus in bringing  all the advantages of 850 nm CWDM, 850 nm serial, and
1310 nm WWDM into the 10 GbE PMD.

Regards,

Edward S. Chang
NetWorth Technologies, Inc.
EChang@NetWorthtech.com
Tel: (610)292-2870
Fax: (610)292-2872

Jamie:

The appropriate time to measure ourselves against the objectives is when we
go to working group ballot.  It is premature to go down any of the paths
you propose.

I also disagree with your assessment of the meeting. We did not vote down
support for the LAN and MM fiber.

For a number of reasons, we were not able to reach the required 75%
consensus on the two 850 nm proposals and the 1300 WWDM proposal. Obviously
we need more time to work the issues.

Bruce

At 11:40 AM 7/14/00 -0700, Rich Taborek wrote:

>Jamie,
>
>I strongly disagree with your assessment of the outcome of the La Jolla
>meeting.
>It is clear that the P802.3ae Task Force achieved virtually all of its
>objective
>except for the specific identification of one or more out of three
>possible PMDs
>to address multimode fiber optic cable objectives. All three of these PMDs
>received significantly over a majority of the Task Force vote but was short
of
>the 75% required for passage.
>
>I also disagree that LAN oriented proposals were "all voted down". I do not
>understand how you can make this statement. All LAN and WAN objectives are
>covered under the logic portion of the track and 100% of the objectives
>for both
>LAN and WAN were voted in by the Task Force with virtually unanimous
support.
>The PMDs apply equally to the LAN and WAN. Ethernet in the WAN clearly
>requires
>multimode fiber optic cable support. Do you disagree with this statement?
>
>I disagree that there is a need for a separate PAR and its associated
division
>of effort at this time. I believe that the required compromise to bridge
the
>small gap between the current majority support and required 75% support
>will be
>achieved in a reasonable period of time. In the interim, I am confident
that
>logic and PMD supporters of the only three candidates to satisfy the two
>P802.3ae multimode cable plant objectives will not skip a beat in
>continuing to
>optimize those PMD solutions to market.
>
>To conclude, I'd like to correct the PMDs referenced in your note to those
>contending to meet P802.3ae multimode cable plant objectives and with
>significantly more that majority support in the P802.3ae task force:
>
>1. 850 nm Serial @ 10.3125 LAN/9.953 WAN line rate. PMD per kolesar_1_0700
>2. 850 nm WDM (4 channel) @ 3.125 LAN/2.488 WAN line rate/channel. PMD per
>    wiedemann_1_0700
>3. 1310 nm WDM (4 channel) @ 3.125 LAN/2.488 WAN line rate/channel. PMD per
>    hanson_1_0500
>
>Note that the 850 nm Serial PMD leverages the same exact logic as voted in
for
>the accepted 1310 and 1550 nm Serial PMDs rather than reinventing the
>wheel with
>an unsupported and much more difficult to achieve 12.5 Gbps data rate as
you
>suggest.
>
>To conclude, please note that specifications of two of three of the above
PMDs
>are currently being developed by ANSI accredited standards committee NCITS
T11