From: David Kabal [mailto:dkabal@nortelnetworks.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2000 3:02 PM
To: HSSG_reflector (E-mail)
Subject: RE: Optical Connectors

Jonathan:

As an open question, what is the impact of having more than one optical connector specified in MDI of the 802.3 standard? Is this an interoperability question or can it be left flexible without adversely affecting the standard. Is this similar to the Power over DTE decision to define two different wiresets that could be used to "transmit power", and every receiver had to accept both, or is this a bogus analogy?

Throwing my personal opinion into this:
I can see near-term implementations in SC, moving to LC in the next year, so I would prefer to have a standard that specified only LC, and I would not be adverse, if it were possible, to include both connectors as "possible MDIs".

Cheers,
Dave
-----
David Kabal
Photonics Engineer, OPTera Metro Solutions, Nortel Networks
Phone: 613.270.5953  Fax: 613.591.2035