RE: Equalization

Ed/Jay,

We don't have "a lot of time to play around" on "interesting research
projects."

The TIA FO2.2.1 effort addresses 2 issues in worst case MMF.  1) The
specification of 75% or more of the light within a 15um radius improves the
modal bandwidth.  2) The specification of less than 25% within a 5um radius
limits the effect of defects present in the center of the fiber (much as the
offset patch cord does for 1310nm where the defects have much more severe
effects).  These 2 conditions improve the modal bandwidth of "worst-case"
MMF from 160MHz-km to 385MHz-km with a very high degree of confidence.  Link
simulations indicate that a 385MHz-km modal bandwidth fiber will support a
850nm serial link with a reach of 65-75 meters.  Also, the link simulations
indicate 10Gig serial transmission can go over 100m when the modal bandwidth
reaches ~650-700MHz-km (not 800MHz-km as in Ed's email).  Thus it only
requires about 5dB of equalization gain and the TIA-FO2.2.1-specified launch
to reach 100m over worst-case 62.5um fiber with an 850nm serial link.  This
modest gain is rendered even more reasonable by the fact that the restricted
launch helps to avoid the fiber-center defects.

The 5dB value was determined via the Pisi column in the link simulator.  At
100m for a 385MHz-km fiber, the Pisi was less than 5dB in excess of the
"acceptable" 3.0-3.6dB.  Thus improvement of the Pisi by 5dB brings the isi
back to an acceptable level.

Do we agree on the above as a reasonable means for estimating the
equalization gain?

Regards,
Jack