Re: A Question about "Inter Packet Gap and SOP Lane alignment"

Sanjeev,

Thanks for your clarifications. Please allow me to answer your initial
question succinctly:

An LSS message encoded over either XAUI or the 8B/10B PCS has the
general format LDDD. LSS messages are standalone in an Idle stream and
are completely independent of /T/. /T/ is always associated with an EOP
delimiter and has the general format TDDD. Think of LSS messages as
"primitives" rather than "mini-frames".

As for the second part of your question, DIII is not a valid word format
to be passed to/from a 64B/66B CODEC. I guess I don't understand the
context of this part of the question either. Can you please elaborate?

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Sanjeev Mahalawat wrote:

> Rich,
>
> >Hopefully, this answers your questions with the exception of the /E/,
> >which I don't understand.
>
> >> I do not see any /E/ after LDDD and I do not see any 64/66B encoding for
> >> DIII also?
>
> My mistake, I meant to say /T/  EoP delimiter not /E/. So I should have said
> "I do not see any /T/ after LDDD and I do not see any 64/66B encoding for
> DIII also?"
>
> Thanks
> -Sanjeev
>
> At 11:49 PM 07/19/2000 -0700, you wrote:
> >
> >Sanjeev,
> >
> >Your questions are very good ones. It's difficult to balance trying to
> >stick to a single issue in a thread without having questions like yours
> >come up. This is especially true when multiple issues are being
> >discussed in this single email thread already as I'm hesitant to address
> >any more. The issue of who inserts and removes LSS information is yet
> >another issue. Since you asked, I'll address it.
> >
> >1) LSS is proposed as a LAN PHY layer transport for management
> >information including Break Link, Remote Fault and SONET compatible
> >OAM&P.
> >
> >2) LSS information is architected to be transported over all LAN PHY
> >interfaces including the XGMII, XAUI, XBI and the medium (did I get all
> >of them?). This means that all encoded interfaces need to be able to
> >encode, decode LSS information.
> >
> >3) Exactly where LSS information is inserted and removed from the PHY is
> >implementation dependent.
> >
> >4) All LSS information for transport is generated by management and not
> >the Physical or Data Link layers. For example, Remote Fault is sensed by
> >management as a fault condition on the incoming link and reported as a
> >message to be transported by LSS on the outgoing link. This is followed
> >by the recognition of the LSS message containing Remote Fault by the
> >remote device and an indication of the Remote Fault report to management
> >entity at the remote device.
> >
> >5) LSS information may be inserted and removed at any LAN PHY sublayer
> >including the Reconciliation Sublayer, XGXS, PCS, PMA and even the PMD.
> >
> >6) All LSS information must be removed from the Idle stream before
> >Idles, in the form of IPG, are passed to the MAC. The obvious "firewall"
> >for LSS information is the Reconciliation sublayer.
> >
> >7) LSS information may be inserted and removed into a LAN PHY link more
> >than once between Ethernet devices in order to manage complex fiber
> >optic cable plants which may include elements such as media converters,
> >wavelength converters, amplifiers, signal regenerators, optical
> >switches, etc.
> >
> >Now... back to your specific question:
> >
> >Let's use the Remote Fault example I started with in bullet item #4
> >above and consider a Serial LAN PHY with XGMII, XAUI and XBI interfaces
> >on both link ends. Lets also introduce the Remote Fault LSS message at
> [...]

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@nSerial.com
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com