RE: Optical Connectors

Given some of the notes on this thread, I am not confident that everyone has
the same idea of what it might mean for P802.3ae to specify an optical
connector.

I think that we can simply look at clause 38.11.3 to see how we would do
this. In particular, note that the connector is specified by reference to an
international standard (IEC 61754-4) where the connector is specified in
detail.

I believe it is our duty to select at least one connector for P802.3ae. I
personally have reservations about the committee selecting more than two
(e.g. SC and one SFF). If referencing FC implies indirect adoption of more
than two, this is a bad idea. We need to be clear what is being recommended.
By way of example, in clause 38.11.1 we reference IEC 793-2 fiber
specifications. We do not reference all fibers specified in IEC 793-2.

jonathan